Nutrition Counsellor - Only Female in Kandahar
||As per the salary scale
|No. Of Jobs:
||1 – 2 years’ experience in a similar role
||5 months with possibility of extension
||Completed higher secondary level education
INTERSOS is an Italian non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Established in 1992, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected. INTERSOS is an independent association which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world's poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure.
- Helps to identify needs for breastfeeding counselling and provide adequate counselling
- Facilitates sessions on nutrition, health and hygiene good practices to pregnant and lactating women and caregiver of malnourished children attending the Out-patient Therapeutic Programme (OTP) sites
- To provide one on one breastfeeding counselling for mothers experiencing difficulties in breastfeeding, including demonstration and breastfeeding techniques and supporting re-lactation
- Facilitate the scheduling of outreach worker/volunteer for follow-up of caregiver of children with breastfeeding difficulties at home.
- Identify mothers to become peer educators in their home villages, and to support them to undertake sensitization and referral to the Mother Baby Area
- To refer children for intensive nutritional/medical care as required
- To train outreach worker and volunteers on best practices for infant and young child feeding
- Prepare daily/weekly reports on activities and any necessary reports as requested by the MAM
- Attend training and team meeting as requested.
- Register and undertake growth monitoring and promotion (GMP) including measure weight, height, age and check edema of all children under two years of age.
- Conduct GMP based counseling of mothers/caregivers of all children under two years of age on appropriate Maternal Infant and Young Child Nutrition (MIYCN) practices and infection prevention.
- If the child is normal, encourage and counsel mother to reinforce and promote age appropriate MIYCN practices
- If child is suffering from SAM, refer to the doctor of the clinic for giving adequate treatment and counselling.
- Counsel mothers/ caregiver to bring under two children for the continues monthly GMP visit
- Undertake Mid Upper Arm Circumference (MUAC) of children 6-59 Month of age
- Check whether child has received Vitamin A supplementation during the previous NID, if no then refer to the administrator of Vitamin A in clinic
- Conduct complementary feeding demonstration once per month
Counselling on Maternal Nutrition
- Measure lactating mothers MUAC, weight, height and find BMI and categories as normal, underweight, overweight and obese after the first PNC till the mother breastfeed her child
- Provide individualized nutrition counselling on appropriate practices, based on the BMI findings.
- Check whether lactating mother receive adequate IFA tablets during three months after delivery.
At the Community level:
- Work and coordinate with Community Health Supervisors (CHSs) and Community Health Workers (CHWs) during the CHW monthly meetings (as much as possible) to:
- To Share the GMP defaulter cases list with CHW and follow up
- To ensure that the GPM session conducted in community by CHW regularly.
- Mentoring CHWs on topics such as GMP, counseling skills, proper home visit
Recording and Reporting:
- Maintain regular reports to monitor and track delivery of nutrition services.
- Using MCH handbook reporting in provinces the MCH handbook apply.
- Identify beneficiaries which require follow-up visits and share information with CHSs/CHWs within the catchment area of the MHT/SDPs.
- Completed higher secondary level education
- 1 – 2 years’ experience in a similar role
- A good understanding of breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices within the target community
- Ability to work within a tight timeframe
- Motivated and prepared to work in the field areas in challenging conditions
- Passionate about improving the lives of children
- Women candidate are preferable for this job profile
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Experience in individual /group counselling
please submit your applications by filling the INTERSOS Standard Job application form (https://www.acbar.org/applicationform) along with an updated CV and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or can send the hard copy of the applications to any of the INTERSOS offices. Please note that applying without filling job application form may result in disqualifying the applications to review for shortlisting
Please indicate the position title, Vacancy Number, and Location in the Subject Line of your email otherwise your application will not be considered.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted with and called for a test/Interview.
Qualified People with Physical Disabilities and Female candidate are highly encouraged to apply.